J.G. Bradley Campground and Lodge

The J. G. Bradley Campground and Lodge offers tent and RV camping along the mouth of Buffalo Creek and the Elk River where the community of Dundon once stood. The lodge and RV sites rented since the summer of 2010, was fully restored following the devastating flood of 2016. Water, sewage and electrical service is provided to up to eight RV’s on the site and a fully functional men/women’s bathhouse is available to tent campers. Lodge rooms are available (including one fully handicapped room) with a spacious common area with a large stone fireplace. Amenities include toiletries, towels and linens, iron and board, and hair dryers. The lodge is completely handicapped accessible, and the handicapped room includes coffee pot, microwave, mini-fridge and a walk-in shower.  Wide doors on all rooms and a large outdoor ramp and wide porches overlook Buffalo Creek on one side and the BC&G Rail Rides on the other. A common area kitchenette and dining room includes, range and oven, sink, coffee pot, mini-fridge and microwave. For reservations call Connie at 304-545-5829 or email her at info@jgbradleycampground.com

T
he campground park was named for Joseph Gardner Bradley (b. 1881) – also known as J. G. Bradley – of Dundon, West Virginia. He was the grandson of Simon Cameron and Joseph P. Bradley; son of William Hornblower Bradley and Eliza McCormack (Cameron) Bradley; and married Mabel Bayard Warren. Republican. A Harvard educated coal mining magnate, Mr. Bradley was the organizer of Elk River Coal and Lumber Co. and the Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad, director of Central Iron and Steel Co., founder of the town of Widen, W.Va., and delegate to 1916 Republican National Convention from West Virginia.


T
he depot for rides on the historic Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad is adjacent to the campground. “By sharing a portion of our railroad heritage with visitors to J. G. Bradley Campground, we hope to keep the history of Dundon, Clay, and Swandale alive,” said Connie Lupardus, CAEZ Executive Director. “Our plan is to continue to enhance the campground guest experience as funding is available to do so.”

Six miles of track, adjacent to the lodge is now open for rail-riding and this popular excursion is offered as a tourist attraction by the Clay Business Development Association. For Rail Ride Tickets call 304-618-7992.

T
he Central Appalachian Empowerment Zone (CAEZ) received $190,000 from the 2009 Onmibus Appropriations Bill for the completion of the lodge. It was fully restored in 2017, following the flood. A bathhouse was added in 2019 and the concrete pad for a planned covered pavilion by 2020. The lodge has seen an increased number of visitors and seems to stay full all year with out of state tourists, by providing a nice facility for group outings to enjoy the excellent fishing and recreational opportunities the area offers.

For more information on the campground, visit www.jgbradleycampground.com